Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Mona's or Capponi's

This is the inaugural blog entry so I wanted to make sure it was just the right topic and there is no doubt I found it.
You see, out in the middle of nowhere in Illinois (Toluca to be exact) there are two little Italian restaurants about a block apart. One is Mona's and one is Capponi's and they are, for the most part, the EXACT same place...same owners, same menu, same ingredients etc... They are open seven days a week....well, let me rephrase, one of them is open every night. Mona's is closed on Monday and Tuesday and Capponi's on Wednesday and Thursday, both open, Fri-Sun. So, if its Thursday and your starving after a tiring hike up the "Jumbo" and you just want to pound some "ravs" at Capponi's I've got terrible news for you.
Now, you'll need to understand that these places are absolute institutions in this part of the land and the local people are clueless to the hilarity that is Mona's and Capponi's. I mentioned the "ravs" right? Well, the first time I was taken to one of these establishments all I heard about was ravs this and ravs that. Anyway, ravs is apparently code for ravioli and since I like ravioli and had heard how good they were, I decided to order them. So out they come and the waitress sets down a heaping plate of tortellini in meat sauce. Naturally, I'm a little confused and wondering what happened to my order....then I'm told...those are ravs. WHAT?!?! These people seriously think that tortellini is ravioli and they've been calling it ravs for generations! A couple of years later though, they did change the menu to say Ravs (actually tortellini)....yes, that's what the menu said.

OK, let's dispel some myths about Mona's and Capponi's, I'll help...

Myth: The best thing to eat with a huge plate of pasta is a salad.
Truth: It's best if you start with salad and finish with a 1/2 fried chicken- dark meat only.

Myth: Mona's has better 1000 Island dressing than Capponi's (according to one of my sister-in-laws).
Truth: Same recipe at both places...I asked.

Myth: It's funny to throw out random names your wife and her sisters went to high school with while dining.
Truth: Well, actually, that is pretty funny, but you have to be willing to sit through the lecture afterwards.

One more thing, if you're ever in town (there is no reason for you to be) and you visit either place on a crowded night, start a rumor that they are "out of ravs" and that's why it is taking so long to get seated. I tried this once and within five minutes a lady was up at the counter desperately asking the host if it was true. Again, be prepared for the lecture once you stop laughing.

Mona's Menu
Capponi's Menu (remember, just a block away)

oh...and don't forget to visit Bernardi's II in Pony-ack.

3 comments:

paula said...

I laughed out loud when I read your blog! Thanks for always keeping me entertained. I'm so boring. :-)

The Lembright Family said...

HILARIOUS! And if anyone wants to know how they came up with the name "Toluca", just give me a holla!

molly said...

Very entertaining!!! I was laughing, even though I've heard the story several times before!

Would you believe that I've never been to either!?!!??