So, last Monday night we went to the first class. We did the usual: played an ice breaker with the other soon to be parents, watched a video on what happens when your labor actually begins, I got a back massage and then we did some breathing exercises.
This is officially when I lost Ryan. As our instructor, Norel, asked us to breath in, 2, 3, 4 and out, 2, 3, 4 I could tell Ryan was beginning to chuckle. In fact, I was supposed to be leaning back on him and had to pull myself away from him so I wouldn't go down with him. To his credit, he composed himself enough to continue.
Then, for the remaining 10 minutes we were all told to lie down on the floor, in whatever style was comfortable. After convincing Ryan that no, I did not want to spoon, we settled in. Norel turned the lights off and thus began our relaxation. As she walked us through our bodies, head to toe and asked us to relax each and every muscle, she started asking rhetorical questions like, "Where are you?", "Are you on water?", etc.
About the time she was asking questions, someone (thank goodness it wasn't me) passed some gas. Not a lot, but a very obvious passing of gas nonetheless. I had to hold back a few chuckles, but Ryan ... he wasn't doing so well. I wish I could somehow give you the visual of Ryan in a fetal position with his entire back shaking from trying to hold in his laughter. In order to disguise the fact that he was trying not to laugh, he started coughing - enough for Norel to ask me if he was alright. Yes, I assured her he was.
Once the relaxtion portion had ended, Norel went around the room and asked where we all "were." Honestly, I hadn't "gone" anywhere, but she decided to start with me, so I said a beach. Next came Ryan. Since he wasn't paying attention she had to ask him three times before I hit him on the back and told him she was asking him. He responded that he was in a hammock. Okay ... whatever. The oddest thing ... as she went around the room, some people answered with:
"Well, I was on the Mississippi and then went to a beach."
"I was at Dale Hollow."
Seriously? You really went there? Maybe they did. I don't know. And maybe next time I'll be able to travel somewhere too ... and hopefully take along my junior high husband. :)
6 comments:
I just laughed my butt off. That DEFINITELY would have been Mike in that situation. I think it's safe to say that many of us have "junior high husbands." I can't believe how "serious" your first baby class was. Ours with Ben was not nearly so cliche (relaxation/breathing...laying on the floor, etc!)! :) It did make for a very good post though. You two make me laugh. I can't wait to hear about the next class!
seriously it takes a lot to make me laugh out loud and mark just came out of the room to ask if i was ok--that is hilarious! i'm afraid i skipped those classes, i knew MY junior high husband wouldn't be able to handle it! yes, please keep us informed of other interesting tales from lamaze!
I laughed so hard at this...even thought you just told me the story yesterday when I saw you! VERY FUNNY!!!!
I have lived with Ryan longer than you have, which will change someday, and having spent 20 some years under the same roof this still made me laugh so hard I cried. I love not getting used to him. Please promise you will tell your child this story someday when they can fully appreciate it.
hi-larious! oh my goodness...i can just picture that. i so love our "junior high husbands." but, seriously, i would have thought the same thing in such a serious class! where am i? i'm sitting in your classroom, breathing!
we are sooo laughing out loud right now! wes just said, "i can totally see that"(meaning ryan laughing so hard!)...keep up the posts...love em :)
Post a Comment