Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Crean & Crimson

First, I'll say this, when I posted the possibilities for IU's next coach, Tom Crean wasn't on the list. The main reason for this was the amount of money he was making at Marquette (he may get almost 2 mil a year now) and what it would take financially from IU's strapped athletic department to get him. Because of the price tag, I didn't even put him into the viable candidate category. Now, obviously IU has found some cash and they're dealing it out.

As for Crean himself, although I can't provide you any written documentation of these facts, I will say that he was actually my #1 choice when Indiana hired Sampson. I thought he was a good, young coach at a good (but not great) job with Midwest and Big Ten roots. Again, at the time finances looked to be a roadblock. Then, of course, the Sampson thing came out of left field and left us in the mess we see today.

That said, I am very happy with him coming to coach the Hoosiers. Although I endorsed Tony Bennett initially, I think IU scored big with this hire. Like with any coaches, I've heard complaints (only won when he had Dwayne Wade....never won a conference tournament blah blah blah) but that is mostly coming from the message board hacks in their mom's basement that don't realize that what Crean has done at Marquette the last 9 years would be an improvement from where IU is now. He's a solid coach, recruiter and has the spotless reputation IU had to get. Here's what I wrote about qualifications for the next coach a week and a half ago...
  • 100% clean. No explanation necessary.
  • Winner w/ experience
  • Great personality to unite fan base
  • Great recruiter with patience to restart this thing. Must get Indiana kids.
  • An understanding of IU and Big Ten basketball
Well, lets see....
1) Check. Absolutely no issues.
2) Check. 9 years as a head coach, major conference.
3) We'll see, but his hire has gone over immeasurably better with fans than did Sampson's.
4) Check. 3 players in the NBA (Wade, Diener, Novak). Lead recruiter for Mateen Cleaves and Mo Peterson. Dominic James of Richmond is his best player currently.
5) Check. Assistant under Tom Izzo at MSU. Grew up and went to school in Michigan.

So, that to say, I'm pretty happy with this and it's a positive step in what has been a difficult month and a half. Plus, he's married to Jim Harbaugh's sister...yep, Captain Comback.

***Bonus Coverage***

Just a quick note to say that I think Dan Dakich did the right thing with Armon Bassett and JaMarcus Ellis. Sampson fostered this type of behavior and Dan took it upon himself (knowing he wasn't going to be the coach) to clean it up because he understands IU. They may end up back on the team, but if they don't want to be a part of this...so long. I hope Dan stays on in some capacity (McCallum for that matter too, but less likely).

Oh yeah....and Rick Greenspan still needs to get the boot.

1 comment:

The Lembright Family said...

Loved reading all this and getting "caught up from afar"! Glad you feel good about the decision and love the fact that he has ties to Sparty! :) Wonder if he likes Papianos and Beaners?

And how about those pics from Youngstown! Great shots---we miss you all!