Saturday, October 18, 2008

Eventful last couple days ...

Things don't always come easily for Ryan and I ... see post on the Lambert Curse if you don't believe me! This week proved more of the same.

Thursday night all was well. Ryan and I enjoyed an evening with just the two of us (which hasn't happened in quite a while) by relaxing and enjoying some Dairy Queen. When we went to bed, all was well.

I woke up around 12:30 not feeling very well. I had a pretty bad cramp in my side. I figured it was just how the baby was laying and did my best to get comfortable - to no avail. I knew things were going south when I couldn't fall back asleep and at by 3:30 started getting sick. Between 3:30 and 7am I had thrown up seven times (by my definition ... not Ryan's ... if you'd like to know Ryan's definition of throwing up, just let me know!) and hadn't gotten really any sleep.

I called the doctor and they suggested I come in. We made it to the hospital around 7:30am and by then the pain in my side was very severe! They immediately put me on an IV since I was becoming dehydrated (did I mention I couldn't even keep water down?) and they quickly followed up with some pain medication which felt wonderful!! After a couple hours they had the diagnosis down to four most likely causes: bad flu bug, kidney stones, gall bladder attach or appendicitis.

They wanted to rule out the appendicitis because of the potential implications to the baby. So after putting us in a more permanent room and having a surgeon come look at me they decided it would be best for me to get an ultrasound on my gall bladder followed up with a CT scan on my appendix.

As you might suspect things at a hospital don't always go quickly. It was after 3pm by the time I got the ultrasound. It was going to be after 6pm before I could get in for the CT scan and since there was a possibility of surgery (to remove my appendicitis) I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything. So, by the time we got the results of the CT scan (at 9:30pm on Friday) I was quite hungry! However, I was thrilled to learn that I did not need to get my appendix removed (huge answer to prayer) and that I had several stones in my kidney - one which I likely had passed earlier that day.

They decided to keep me overnight for observation and even gave me some sleeping medication so I could get a full, wonderful night's sleep!! They released me this morning around 11:30 and now I'm home and doing great.

There still is a risk that one of the remaining stones will decide to move at some point in the future, but now I know the symptoms and instead of riding it out for seven hours I can get right into the hospital and on some medication.

Not the ideal last couple of days, but thankfully the baby is healthy and doing great and I'm feeling much better! We also got to know the maternity ward quite well and made some great friends with the nurses! Maybe they will be there in two months!! And a huge thanks to my mother-in-law who came to stay with me at the hospital once Ryan had to leave on Friday night. What a blessing!

3 comments:

paula said...

So glad you didn't have to have surgery and that you and baby are doing well! It's always an adventure in the Lambert household!

mickev said...

Carrie! I am so glad it was just a kidney stone (or stones). I have heard that is a pain worse than childbirth...so that could be a silver lining. I will pray for good health for you and baby for the remainder of your pregnancy! Love ya! Take Care. Mic

The Moser Fam... said...

Glad you are ok!! As I was reading this post, I thought it might be a repeat of what happened to me when I was pregnant w/ Ben! I'm glad you didn't have a ruptured appendix, but definitely don't envy kidney stones! So sorry! I'm glad you are feeling better and hope you don't have to experience that pain again! :)