Sunday, April 29, 2012

Hospitality

If you know my Mom at all, you know one of her gifts is hospitality. You walk in the door and are immediately offered a beverage (or two), some home made treat and probably will even leave with a gift in your hand. It is a true spiritual gift.

While I was home this last weekend to do some cleaning and organizing (more on that later), my Mom did not disappoint.

The first night I was home we had our good family friend Kathy out for cards. This was the spread my Mom had ... for the FOUR of us. Really?


Here is her making her infamous "Popcorn Treat." While it is scrumptious, it will take you hours to remove from your teeth. Unless you are able to take your teeth out to eat it, which some of us can do. Not me, but someone whom I will leave unnamed.


The first day we were home it was beautiful weather and Maggie got to enjoy the sunshine!


Typical ... the glass situation. Can you pick which one is my Mom's? I'm still not sure why she prefers the tiniest glasses ever!


So a few items to note during the cleaning, organizing project. I found these baby chicks in a drawer. While it is clearly a "Great Bargain!" (see price tag), it was a bit unclear to me as to what one would do with small, fluffy chicks.


 Oh yes ... yes, this does make sense. If you are giving away eggs to your neighbors.


So on to the actual cleaning now. We tackled the "Holy of Holies" as the BILs (brother-in-laws) affectionately call it. This room is filled with antiques of all sorts and we don't usually go out there for fear of damaging some prized items. While Mom and I spent nearly five hours in this room alone, it was clear from the beginning that we had different ideas on what should go and what should stay. Mostly I deferred to my Mom. We did both agree that this box of candles could go.



So I give you the before ...



And now the after ...



Look closely (you will have to to see the difference), but it is there. Trust me ...

So as not to inundate my followers (what few of you there actually are), there will be more posts coming on my time at home! :)

2 comments:

paula said...

Love this post! Glad you were productive and had fun!!! Good luck with your garage sale items. Hope your work pays off! :)

mickev said...

Funny! I think I have been in that "space" 1 time in my whole time of knowing you and your family. Love the post. And as always, love your mom and her special gifts.