Maggie and I have been three times already. We have 3-4 more trips planned. I know ... it is an obsession and likely not a healthy one (in many senses of the word), but an obsession none the less.
I take advantage of the free/discounted tickets. We ride the free shuttle - which conveniently picks up three blocks from our house. I even pack lunches and snacks so we don't spend quite as much money.
But mostly, I just love being there. Walking around. Seeing what's new from day to day. Catching the various shows that happen all over the fairgrounds. Just soaking it all up.
One of our "goals" last year was to enjoy breakfast at the fair. We accomplished that last Saturday and had a delicious breakfast that I would highly recommend to anyone. Plus, Saturday morning proved to be an excellent time to visit. It wasn't too hot yet and the grounds really didn't start getting packed until we left.
We fortunately ran into some fair queens when we were there!
Another one of the perks of going more than once is you get to see the cheese sculpture from start to finish!
I'm a huge fan of "canstructions." To see what people can make out of canned goods is amazing and all the food is then donated to a food bank. Brilliant.
We also happened upon these adorably decorated vegetables!
Only one time when we were there did Travelers Insurance have up their pitching game. Both Maggie and Ryan tried their luck and no surprise, Ryan hit the goal!
You know that free entertainment I mentioned? Mags and I randomly ran into a Youth Talent Contest! And of course we have seen the high dive show as well. And I love the cloggers ... even since I was one a few years back! Next week we will definitely hit the ice-skating show.
We have enjoyed some food ... apple slushies and Giant Amish Donuts to name a few ...
With it being year of the popcorn and all, you have to have a GIANT popcorn ball!
And my least favorite part of the fair - rides. Uugghh. We tell Maggie she can only do it one day and only gets to pick a few.
I was so thankful my Mom got to join us this year. She LOVES fairs - maybe more than me! Who else would lug back two huge brooms??
Already looking forward to our next visit! And seriously if you are going and want some tips ... let me know! I LOVE to help others enjoy the fair as much as I do! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment