Friday, April 22, 2011

Things I have learned ...

1. You don't always appreciate collectibles. My mom insisted that we each "collect" something when we were little. Paula chose Precious Moments. Beth and I chose Country Cousins (horrible, red haired figurines). Jen chose Lucy and Me dolls. I couldn't even tell you where my Country Cousins are now. Best guess ... Mom's attic. But what I can tell you is that I don't really appreciate collectibles. Especially since I had to dust Jen's Lucy and Me bears while I was home last week ... Dusting has to be reason #47 to not have knick knacks around your house.

2. High school - Happy living through it. Happy to not have to go back. But at least we have our framed graduation announcements/senior pictures to help us relive the moment.

3. Cabbage Patch Dolls are still cool. That is one collectible I could get behind!

4. My mom has signs up all over the house with phrases that we often quote for their absurdity. This is one of my all time favorites. (In case you can't read it: "It's not whether you win or lose, It's how you look when you play the game.")

5. Bridesmaids dresses really don't have much use after the wedding. I found this one that I wore who knows how many years ago for a wedding of a high school friend. Upon seeing me in it Maggie exclaimed "Mommy ... dress-up!!!" and went to find a matching purple dress.

6. Waxing the tub is not gratifying. One of my jobs when I was young was waxing the tub every blue moon. Apparently there was a blue moon last week. I should have taken a before/after picture instead of this one in progress. I'm sure you would have seen a HUGE difference (note sarcasm). Anyway, I'm going to chalk this chore up to a good workout for my arms. I told my Mom afterwards that either Dad was going to have to help her into the shower or she needed to install one of those senior citizen's bars because it was quite slick!

7. Moments like this are priceless! Maggie and Grandpa heading back from gathering the chicken eggs.

8. It's good to look back. These photos always bring back so many memories and I just love it!!

3 comments:

paula said...

Laughing out loud ... :)

mickev said...

Great post, Carrie. You should be proud you fit in a dress from a high school friend's wedding! Also, I love the graduation pictures, you were the only one without curly poofy hair! haha! Enjoyed seeing you, Maggie and your wonderful parents while you were home.

Kathy said...

After seeing that garage sale stack, I'm thinking we are no longer going to be able to play LTS!! ( I think those are the correct initials for the game). Good job Carrie! I saw the pantry last week and was very impressed! How long before Lindy starts to stock up again? :)